What "United Inches" Means in Framing

My thanks to Jill Spreenberg-Robinson for permission to post this on my page! For reprint permission, please contact Jill.

Here's Jill!

"United inches" is the term framers use to determine the lineal feet of frame molding required per frame and the number on which the price of all other components (mats, backing, lacing, etc.) are based.

To figure united inches, measure the length and width of the frame. Add these figures. Thus, an 8" x 10" frame = 18 united inches.

(Note: Unified inches is not to be confused with square inches! To figure square inches, multiply length times width.)

copyright 1999, Jill Spreenberg-Robinson. Contact her for reprint permission.

Needlework Home Page | Tips and Tricks | Home Page