1 pkg. (1 3/4 oz.) powdered fruit pectin
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp flavouring
more granulated sugar
1. Combine fruit pectin, water and baking soda in a medium-size saucepan. This mixture will foam.
2. Combine sugar and corn syrup in large saucepan.
3. Place both saucepans over high heat. Cook, stirring alternately, until the foam disappears from the fruit pectin mixture, and the sugar mixture boils rapidly, about 5 minutes.
4. Pour fruit pectin mixture into the boiling sugar mixture in a thin stream, until all pectin is added. Boil mixture, stirring constantly, 1 minute longer.
5. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in flavouring and a few drops of food colouring.
6. Immediately pour mixture into a 8 x 8 x 2" pan. For fancy shapes, spoon mixture into tiny tart or hors d'oeuvres tins.
7. Allow to stand at room temperature (do not refrigerate) 3 hours or until candy is cool and firm.
8. Cut gum drop mixture into fancy shapes with small cutters or cut into cubes with a knife dipped in warm water. Roll in the extra granulated sugar.
Desired Colour Of Gum Drop, Flavouring And Food Colouring:
Red: strawberry extract, cinnamon extract, clove oil; red food colouring
Green: oil of anise, peppermint, wintergreen, lime extract; green food colouring
Yellow: oil of lemon; yellow food colouring.
Yield: 1 1/4 pounds.